Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Golden Rule

The archaically stated “Golden Rule” (Do Unto Others…), has morphed into the passive voice as the truism, “others treat you how you treat them”.  I realized myself that whichever way I perceive it, either with myself as the subject and actor in the active voice; or, as the object of another’s action in the passive, I found myself treating others with the prejudices of past experiences in similar situations. 

Ruminating on what led me to act this way, and how to change my (often embarrassing) negative behavior, I rationalize through frustration.  The group that is the aim of my prejudice are those who are in positions of service.  In this case, specifically the medical assistants and staff at the Houston area physicians offices. 

I have, unfortunately, had many problems with the staff at my primary care physician.  Being on a MediCare Advantage program is like an HMO. I must see certain doctors. Pre-authorization is practically required to take my blood pressure! Ok, exaggeration, but for just about anything. The doctor does no physical exam under any conditions. No stethescope, no little flashlight, just a laptop.  I get 7 minutes (which I think is timed on the laptop!), as he struggles through the commands.

Me: “I feel sick.  I can’t breathe…wheeze, cough, wheeze, gasp, wheeze”

Doc: (Scoots back 3 feet, stares at keyboard) Here’s two prescriptions.

After a while this gets…upsetting. Especially since it takes an Act of Congress to get a message or a refill request to the doctor.  Yesterday, I asked for an appointment and a message to the doctor, and the receptionist said in a snotty ghetto tone “You can’t have everything you want, one or the other, not both”.  I could not help the word “bitch” from coming out of my mouth.

But this is not the case with every doctor’s office in the area, and I have had to make more than one apology by beginning conversations on the defensive.  It has become how I talk to the staff at Synergy Medical Group, how they have treated me.  Even still, reacting to their antagonism is not productive either. 

I have many problems with the lack of medically trained staff in doctors office.  There used to be a time when actual degreed nurses worked in doctors offices.  Now their training mostly consists of memorizing terminology and a multiple choice test.

Realizing this, and taking responsibility for my own disappointments, I plan to go forward with a better attitude towards the staff I have to deal with.

 

Count down to surgery, one week!

 

Winking smile

Kimmarie

No comments:

Post a Comment